Monday, August 24, 2015

It Begins!

My 12th year in the classroom began today, and my feet are killing me! Like always, I choose a first day of school outfit that I think is adorable, this year it is one my husband picked out for me. The shoes I wore however tried to kill me (and they had never been uncomfortable before)! Tomorrow I will be wearing my trusty flats!

As my students from last year stopped by for hugs and to say hi, I got lots of compliments from them on the changes I've made to my room. They all noticed the additions of color and arm chairs, several were jealous I didn't have them last year. It thrilled me to have them appreciate the hard work I put into making my room more cheery. Many of my new kiddos also complimented my room and I'm sure they are ready to use the arm chairs on Friday when we read independent texts (thank you Donalyn Miller!).

Something that surprised me is how many of my new students feel like the charging station I've added is a total bonus for them. It is really just so I have an additional place to keep their cell phones, which I will take up each day. I discovered last year that if I collect phones during class, we have better discussions and an overall stronger learning experience.



I have also been working on making sure I eat well this year, including doing food preparation on Sundays so I don't just come home and eat popcorn (something my husband thinks is all I eat when he isn't here). So far so good! I bought a bento box style luck box and it has been working on really well. I am even finding that I can't finish my lunch (which gives me a snack for after school!).


As the week continues, I will have to get back on track and continue to work on my comps for my doctoral program. I have set several deadlines for myself this semester, and am hoping that the plans I have put into place will help me stay on top of things and meet all of my deadlines.

To my fellow teachers, have an outstanding year!

No comments:

Post a Comment